Advanced Topics in DSL Design and Implementation
PhD Course on "Advanced Topics in Domain Specific Language Design and Implementation"
Here you can find information about the PhD course for Spring semester 2015.
Teachers: Andrzej Wasowski. Claus Brabrand. Aleksandar Dimovski.
Participants: Andrzej Wasowski. Claus Brabrand. Aleksandar Dimovski. Stefan Stanciulescu. Alexandru Florin Iosif-Lazăr. Ahmad Salim Al-Sibahi, Jean Melo, David Raymond Christiansen, Steven Jeuris.
Registration: email@example.com (Aleksandar Dimovski)
Format: Research seminar. Presentation and discussion 90 minutes a session, 10 sessions. The course participants are supposed to read the paper before the scheduled discussion slots.
Participants take turns presenting the material. Everybody is expected to actively participate in the discussions.
Assessment: Presentation of at least one paper and active participation throughout the seminar is required for passing the course.
Credits: 3.5 ECTS
Grading: PASS / FAIL based on fulfilling the above assessment condition.
Meetings: Our weekly meetings are every Monday from 12:30 till 13:55 starting from 13th April.
4A09 (13.04, 20.04, 27.04, 04.05, 11.05, 18.05, 01.06, 08.06, 15.06, 22.06)
The research seminar will be devoted to mechanism for defining, implementing and analyzing semantics of diverse modeling languages (with minor necessary excursions into issues of syntax).
We will study the following papers:
- Apr 13: Daniel L. Moody. The “Physics” of Notations: Toward a Scientific Basis for Constructing Visual Notations in Software Engineering. IEEE Trans. Software Eng. 35(6): 756-779 (2009)  [to present Jean]
- Apr 13: Jon Bentley. Programming pearls: little languages. Communications of the ACM. Volume 29 Issue 8, Aug. 1986  [to present Stefan]
- Apr 20: Landin, Peter J. The next 700 programming languages. Communications of the ACM 9 (3): 157–166 (March 1966). . [include a short biographical note on Peter Landin] [to present David]
- Apr 27: Invited Lecture by Walid Taha. The Acumen project Room 2A08
- May 04, 11: Manuel Clavel, Francisco Durán, Steven Eker, Patrick Lincoln, Narciso Martí-Oliet, José Meseguer, Jose F. Quesada. Maude: specification and programming in rewriting logic. Theor. Comput. Sci. 285(2): 187-243 (2002)  [to present Ahmad]
- May 18: Martin Churchill, Peter D. Mosses, Paolo Torrini. Reusable components of semantic specifications. MODULARITY 2014: 145-156.  [to present Alexandru]
- May 26: Lorenzo Bettini: Implementing Java-like languages in Xtext with Xsemantics. SAC 2013: 1559-1564  [to present Stefan]
- Jun 1: Eelco Visser. Program Transformation with Stratego/XT: Rules, Strategies, Tools, and Systems. Domain-Specific Program Generation, p. 216-238  [to present Alexandru]
- Jun 8: Yuri Gurevich, Benjamin Rossman, Wolfram Schulte. Semantic essence of AsmL. Theor. Comput. Sci. 343(3): 370-412 (2005)  [to present Aleksandar]
- Jun 15: Haruo Hosoya, Benjamin C. Pierce. XDuce: A statically typed XML processing language. Transactions of Internet Technology (TOIT), Vol. 3(2), 2003 http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=767195 [to present Jean]
- Jun 22: Claus Brabrand, Anders Møller, Michael Schwartzbach. The <bigwig> Project. Transactions of Internet Technology (TOIT), Vol. 2(2), 2002  [to present Claus]