Research Lab Manager, at the Pervasive Interaction Technology Laboratory - the pIT Lab
location: 2C04 (IT department) / 3A54 - also known as LAB 5 or pITLab
phone: 7218 5126
GnuPG: GnuPG public key
Things happening / worked on.
- November 2015: Hadoop/Spark Cluster for Big Data research
- October 2015: New process and environment for virtual hosting
- September 2015: Starting work with DTU and Center f Environmental Science / AU on low cost mobile air quality measurements (bAIR.dk)
- May 2015: Short summary of our work with Water Sensors at the PITLab (PDF, 9.0 MB): Attach:Main/Water_Sensors_at_the_PITLab_short_version_201505.pdf
- November 2014 - invited talk on "Internet of Things in Europe" at ANE (Colombia State Agency for Spectrum Allocation) 4th International Spectrum Conference - http://www.itu.dk/~sbut/IoTEU2014Final_xs.pdf
- October 2014 -Bike based air pollution monitoring system bAIR http://bair.dk/ - protoype launched.
- September 2014 - next stage of ownCloud testing beginning.
- July 2014 - First perfSONAR node at danish universities - http://perfsonar.org - http://perfsonar1.itu.dk
- May 2014: Built Microscope from scrap mobile phone
- How to mount network drives / windows shares in GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) Mounting Network Drive in Ubuntu
- August 2013: Fürst, J.; Bonnet, P.; Gawinowski, N.; Büttrich, S.: COSMGrid: Configurable, Off-the-shelf Micro Grid,
Paper accepted for IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference 2013, San Jose, USA 2013, IEEEGHTC 2013, to be published, http://www.ieeeghtc.org/
- June 2013: AfNOG 2013, Lusaka Zambia - Fürst, J.; Büttrich, S.: IT University Questionnaire on Solar Power in Universities and NRENs, presented and distributed in context of NSRC workshop, http://www.afnog.org/
- May 2013: Shaping the ResearchIT function at the IT Department, http://itu.dk/researchit
- April 2013: Building new eduroam RADIUS servers.
- Planning the Copenhagen leg of http://summerofdrones.com/ - cancelled :(
- April 2013: Building thingspeak server for sensors.
- April 2013: Teaching Arduino in Pervasive Computing course, slides here: http://itu.dk/people/shou/teaching/spct-spring2013/PervComp_F2013_%20introduction_to_arduino.pdf
- February: Introduced 3D printing at the pITLab: http://pitlab.itu.dk/content/3d-printing
- January 2013: Building and testing the Ultimaker 3D printer
- Here s the bare bones settings for the new cloud mail and calendar. Most of us are being migrated start of december 2012: MailServer settings.
- Finished sensor data portal installation - Installing Thingspeak On Ubuntu 10.0.4 server
- Attending DMD conference, hearing about students research projects, including three takes on "Know more, Use less"
- I held a workshop for the NSRC (Network Startup Resource Center) at the IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, http://ieeghtc.org,
October 22-24, 2012, Seattle, on "Wireless networks for research, education and humanitarian use". My contribution on the panel "Connectivity and Communication" focused on the sustainable energy aspect of NREN networking and is available through the NSRC pages: http://ow.ly/fcSNo
- Served as Tech Chair for the NordiCHI2012 conference.
- I am lecturing at the ICTP-IAEA-BATAN Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks for Radiation Monitoring, National Nuclear Energy Agency, Jakarta, 1-5 October 2012. Pictures are here.
- Project proposals for PervComp course: https://blog.itu.dk/SPCL-E2012/project-proposals/ - RadDroid, DustDroid, Audio f environmental analysis, 3D copymachine
- Steve Houben, Sebastian Buettrich, Arduino Touché @pITlab -
all credits & thanks: DZL, Mads Hobye http://www.instructables.com/id/Touche-for-Arduino-Advanced-touch-sensing/
- Research of (not so) new MSCHAPv2 vulnerabilities and their impact on Security of 802.1x/EAP
- Understanding Surface 2 screen burn in (image retention)
- 8 (holi)days at Kabarak University in Kenya, http://www.kabarak.ac.ke/, building networks, LDAP/AD/RADIUS 802.1x Auth, with KENET and NSRC. Visiting Strathmore UNiversity, iHub, GrowthAfrica, and others
- Small project: IRLeds
- Working on plans for SolarTangibles on, around and inside the ITU building.
- Spending three (holi)days at Tanzania NREN http://www.ternet.or.tz/ , teaching network fundamentals, security and system administration, with NSRC http://nsrc.org
- Curriculum for Arduino Lab - sensors for power and water flows
- Republishing some SecurityAdviceForServerOwners and GeneralGuideToLinuxServerAdmin
- Teaching in course Pervasive Computing - NFC and security - https://blog.itu.dk/SPCT-F2012/files/2012/03/nfc_tech_talk_spvc2012.pdf
- Added overview of what i have been involved in, 2010-2012 in terms of Main.Global_Teaching
- Added project ideas for 2012 Main.Project_ideas
- Teaching in course Pervasive Computing - Wireless Sensor Networks - https://blog.itu.dk/SPCT-E2011/files/2011/11/introduction_to_wsn_-_lecture_slides_spvc2011_s.pdf
- How to schedule services on a windows server Main.Windows_service_restarts_scheduling
- How to shred hard disks in accordance with the danish Datatilsynets recommendations: Main.Data_shredding_DOD_style
- Skype performance improvement through SOCKS proxy'ing: Main.SkypeSOCKSproxy
- Opened account for testing AmazonVPC - in order to evaluate this for use in research / courses - services/prices are here: Amazon VPC Info
- An interesting chat with slicehost support, about security and responsibility on their slices. Also a great example of what modern IT support can look like.
- It s a good parctice to limit server access to ssh key based access - here is how to make a ssh public key on Windows / Mac / Linux
- Happy to hear pITLabs Arduino & sensors proved useful at the Nordic Game Jam :) - http://globalgamejam.org/2011/flappa-long
- GSM/GPRS from Arduino/Libelium
- Building couchdb, migrating pitlab server into virtual environment. drupal, subversion, couch, ... ahhh couch.
- new year starts.
- Collecting input from research - Requirements for Wireless Networks for Research
- Giving talk on Global Inspiration
Slides are here (PDF, 6.4 MB): Attach:Main/Global_inspiration_-_slides_final.pdf
- Eduroam system for all non-Windows/MAC users: Eduroam how-to for Ubuntu / GNU/linux ... Eduroam how-to Android
- Working end-to-end sensor talk from Lab to ICTP Triest, low cost IPv6 as warm up for real IPv6 project, solar autonomy, ...
- Continuing work on IPv6 at pITLab, now combining with Wireless Sensor Networks
- Beginning preparation of IPv6 project, to be started officially autumn 2010. Doing groundwork and docs for this.
- Sending out the first in a series of what i call "inspiration bullets", to test interest in relevant global projects that i have been approached with.
- Continuing android work, this time on HTC Legend. Works just as well as the Hero. 
- Spontaneous android rooting session at pITLab: the group successfully rooted HTC Magic and Hero. Using Goldcard/cynagen img way.
"Howto" to be posted.
- Spectrum analyzers arrived ... as expected, it s fairly busy in the 2.4 GHz band .. no wonder with dozens of APs, RFID, Bluetooth BLIP, all at work here.
- Ordering a lot of things for the lab: Arduinos, Androids, Anotos, ...
- Not rocket science, but nice to have: multiple skype instances (i.e. with different user, video, audio) from one pc. preparing this for the GIRI day, 4 June.
- Minister mentions a "cloud lab" at the ITU: "I samarbejde med IT Universitetet har Videnskabsministeriet nemlig allerede igangsat et slags cloud-laboratorium, hvor man nu er i gang med at undersøge barriererne for en effektiv udnyttelse af cloud computing i det offentlige."
- Written some thoughts on so-called cloud computing, in my non-ITU role: http://wire.less.dk/?p=88
- Brief market overview Android Phones
- User interviews, evaluation, plans for infrastructure for the BLIP system - 201005
- The frames for the Multitouch cells are now in place.
- Taking over responsibility for servers, services ... 20100415
- Started in my new role here at ITU on 6 April, 2010. The first week(s) is/are spent listening and learning. I intend to maintain that quality, even later in time ... 20100409