- Douglas-Jones, R. A. Walford and N. Seaver. 2021. “Introduction: Toward an Anthropology of Data.” Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 27: 9–25.
- Douglas-Jones, R. 2021. “Bodies of Data”. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 27, 159–170.
- Douglas-Jones, R. 2021. “Committee as Witness: Ethics Review as a Technology of Collective Attestation”. The Cambridge Journal of Anthropology 39(1): 55-71.
- Friesen, P. R. Douglas-Jones, et al.. “Governing AI-Driven Health Research: Are IRBs up to the task?” Hastings Centre Report 43(2): 35–42.
- Douglas-Jones, R., N. Mathur, C. Trundle and T. Vaeau. 2020. “Trial by Fire: Trauma, Vulnerability and the Heroics of Fieldwork” Commoning Ethnography 3(1): 91-116.
- Kingori, P. and Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2020. “Revelation or confirmation?”, Medicine Anthropology Theory, 7(2). doi: 10.17157/mat.7.2.776
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2019. “Getting inside ethical review: anxious bureaucracies of revelation, anticipation and virtue” Critical Public Health 29(4): 448–459 (link)
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2017. “Silent Mentors: Donation, education and bodies in Taiwan” Medicine Anthropology Theory 4(4):69-98. (link)
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. and B. Simpson. 2017. Afterword: New Immortalities? Medicine Anthropology Theory 4(4):171-173. (link)
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. and B. Simpson. 2017. “New Immortalities. Death, donation and dedication in the twenty-first century” Medicine Anthropology Theory 4(4)1-21 (link)
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2017. Making Room for Ethics: Spaces, Survey and Standards in the Asia-Pacific Region. Science and Technology Studies. Online First. (link to pdf)
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2017. Building Capacity in Ethical Review: Compliance and Transformation in the Asia-Pacific Region. The Cambridge Journal of Anthropology 35(1): 49-66.
- Douglas-Jones R.C. and J. Shaffner. 2017. Introduction: Capacity Building in Ethnographic Comparison The Cambridge Journal of Anthropology 35(1): 1-16 (link to pdf)
- Douglas-Jones, R. C., John J. Hughes, Siân Jones, Thomas Yarrow.2016. ‘Science, value and material decay in the conservation of historic environments’. Journal of Cultural Heritage. Online First.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2015. ‘A “good” ethical review: audit and professionalism in research ethics.‘ Social Anthropology 23:1 (53-67)
- Adams, C., R. Douglas-Jones, A. Green., Q. Lewis., T. Yarrow. 2014. ‘Building with History: exploring the relationship between heritage and energy in institutionally managed buildings’. Journal of the Historic Environment: Policy and Practice on Energy Efficiency and Historic Buildings 5(2): 167-81.
- Douglas-Jones, R. 2013. ‘A single broken thread: integrity, trust and accountability in Asian ethics review committees’ Durham Anthropology Journal 18(2): 13-27.
- Simpson, R., Dissanayake, V.H.W., Douglas-Jones, R.C., & Sariola, S. 2010. Ethical Review, Remit and Responsibility in Biomedical Research in South Asia. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics 7(2): 113-114.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C & Sariola, S. 2009. Rhizome Yourself: Experiencing Deleuze and Guattari from Theory to Practice. Rhizomes: Cultural Studies in Emerging Knowledge 19 (Summer).
- Gugganig, M and R. Douglas.-Jones. 2021. “Visual Vignettes” In N. Klimburg-Witjes, N. Poechhacker, G. Bowker Sensing In/Security: Sensors as transnational security infrastructures Mattering Press.
- Douglas-Jones, R. 2021. “Convene, Represent, Deliberate” in A. Birkback and I. Papazu (eds). Democratic Situations. Mattering Press.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2020. “On the Heaviness of Clouds: IoT Computing through Fog, Mist and Dew” in D. Jørgensen and F.A. Jørgensen Silver Linings: Clouds in Art and Science Museumforlgate, Norway.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2020. ” Drawing as Analysis: Thinking in Images, Writing in Words” in A. Ballestero and B. Winthereik. How to do Ethnography. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Gahoonia, S., P. Ferreira, M. Cohn, L. Henriksen, K. Meldgaard Kjær, M. Hockenhull, B. Cakici, M. Blønd, C. Sloth Laursen, S. Zell, R. C. Douglas-Jones. “Upon Not Opening the Black Box”. CHI EA ’20: Extended Abstracts of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing SystemsApril 2020 Pages 1–9https://doi.org/10.1145/3334480.3381813
- Fritsch, E., I. Shklovski and R.C. Douglas-Jones. 2018. “Calling for a Revolution: An Analysis of IoT Manifestos” In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. (link)
- Douglas-Jones, R. C.,J.M Burnett, M. Cohn, C. Gad, M.Hockenhull, B. Jørgensen, J.Maguire, M. Ojala, B. Winthereik. 2018. A Bestiary of Digital Monsters In Schultze U., Aanestad M., Mähring M., Østerlund C., Riemer K. (eds) Living with Monsters? Social Implications of Algorithmic Phenomena, Hybrid Agency, and the Performativity of Technology. IS&O 2018. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 543. Springer, Cham (link)
- Lippert, I. and Douglas-Jones, R.C. “Doing Data“. 2019 EASST Review, 38(1)
- Simpson, R., Dissanayake, V., Douglas-Jones, R.C. & Sariola, S. 2009. Biomedical research in South Asia Ethical review, remit and responsibility. The Newsletter (52): 27.
- Douglas-Jones, R., Hughes, J., Jones, S., Yarrow, T. 2015. Growing Old Gracefully? Historic Scotland: Focus Magazine. pp 32-33.
- Gørding, M.R, M. Ojala and R. Douglas-Jones. 2021. “Playing with “Playing with Method“. MetaData, ETHOS blog.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2020. Research, Interrupted. MetaData, ETHOS blog.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C., M. Blønd, C. Salling, E. Fritsch, M. Cohn. “Becoming a Node: Distribute 2020“. MetaData, ETHOS blog.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. “Hosting a #flyingless academic” MetaData, ETHOS blog.
- Douglas-Jones, R., 2017. “Notes from Inside a Twitter Experiment” #emergingdigitalpractices series, Allegra Laboratory #Colleex http://allegralaboratory.net/notes-from-inside-a-twitter-experiment-collex/
- Douglas-Jones, R., I. Shklovski, A. Powell, S. Nemorin and E. Fritsch. “An Ethical IoT?” VirtEU Research Project https://virteuproject.eu/an-ethical-io
- Douglas-Jones, R., and Susan Wright. 2020 Practicing Integrity. ETHOS Lab and Centre for Higher Education Futures (CHEF),
- Douglas-Jones, R. (ed).”Museum Implosions” Technologies in Practice research group, IT University of Copenhagen.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C., M. Blønd and L. Blum (eds) 2020. Common Erasures: Speaking Back to GDPR. ETHOS Lab, IT University of Copenhagen.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C and M. Cohn (eds). 2018. GDPR: Deletion Poems. Ethos Lab, IT University of Copenhagen.
- Douglas-Jones R.C. 2015. Review Article: Claiming and knowing the real: authenticity today. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 21(2): 466-469.
- Douglas-Jones R.C. 2013. Review of “Development Beyond Politics: aid, activism and NGOs in Ghana” Thomas Yarrow Palgrave 2012. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 19(2): 429-30.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2009. Review of Anthropology and Science: Epistemologies in Practice. By Jeanette Edwards, Penny Harvey and Peter Wade (eds.). Anthropology in Action 16(1): 91-92.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2009. Review of João Biehl, Will To Live: Aids Therapies and the Politics of Survival.Kaleidoscope The Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Journal of Durham’s Institute of Advanced Study 3(1): 75-77.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2008. Review: ‘The Global Idea of “The Commons”, ed. Donald M. Nonini. Durham Anthropology Journal 16(1): 78-80.
Selected Invited Talks
- “Ethical Review Goes Global” European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg Germany. Science and Society Speaker Series, April 25th 2017
- “Twitter and Ethnography: Notes from a Global Experiment” PublicETHOS #14, Technologies in Practice, IT University of Copenhagen. 21 Feb 2017
- “Governance by Committee: Stem Cell Research Oversight and Deliberation in the USA” STS Circle, Harvard University, Boston MA. October 17th, 2016
- “Comparison Makes a Difference” Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, Copenhagen. 17 May 2016.
- Governance and Ethics in Expanding Spaces of Medical Research”. Data and IT in Health and Medicine Laboratory SSHM King’s College London. 18th April 2016.
- 2015. Ethics, Risk and the Field: Dangerous elisions in the doctoral training process. Education, Organization and Policy in the Knowledge Economy (EPOKE), DPU, Aarhus University. November 24th.
- 2015. From ‘Moral Force’ to ‘Research Integrity’ building capacity in research ethics across Asia . Have We Become Too Ethical? Convened by Margaret Sleeboom Faulkner and Bob Simpson, Centre for Bionetworking, Sussex University November 9th
- 2015. Where Audit and Hospitality Meet: Biomedical Research Governance in the Asia-Pacific Region. Master Colloquium Presentation, Health, Body, Biotechnology: Cultural-anthropological Perspectives (convened by Gisela Welz, Meike Wolf and Katrin Amelang), June 24th, Goethe Universität, Frankfurt.
- 2015 Audit and Ethics/ TCM and Clinical Trials. STS Kitchen, June 25th. Goethe Universität, Frankfurt.
- 2013. Ethics Form and Perspective: Capacity Building and Research Governance in Asia. Global Health and Ethics Seminar Series. Ethox, Oxford. April 2013.
Conference papers and panels
- Maguire,J., A. O. Andersen and R. C. Douglas-Jones. “The Digital Anthropocene” 4S/EASST 2020, Prague/Online.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. and B. Simpson. “Death and Chronicity: New perspectives on cadaveric donation.” Co-convened panel at ASA 2016, Footprints and futures: the time of anthropology. Durham 4-7 July 2016.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2016. “The Future of Ethical Review: Three Contrasting Dreams”, on “Dreams for the Future: technocracy, utopianism, fantasy, anxiety” at DASTS Conference 2016.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C., M. Cohn and I. Lippert. “Dreams for the Future: technocracy, utopianism, fantasy, anxiety” Co-Convened panel Danish STS Conference, Aarhus University June 2-3 2016.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. and C. Gad. 2015. Computational Thinking as an Ontological Programme? American Anthropological Association -Panel Ethnographic Engagements with Digital Alterity (Hannah Knox and Antonia Walford, convenors)
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2015. An addition that subtracts? Building persons and systems of capacity in Asian Biomedical Research Ethics. Hope and Insufficiency: capacity building in ethnographic comparison. Copenhagen, May 20-22nd.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2014. Swings of the Pendulum: Research Ethics and the poles of audit and professionalism. European Association of Social Anthropologists Tallinn July 30- August 3.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2014. Silent Mentors: Donation, Education and Bodies in Taiwan. Association of Social Anthropologists Edinburgh June 19-22.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2014. Models of democratic decision making in Ethics Review Committees: whither publics? Living Knowledge Conference, Copenhagen. April 9-11 (withdrawn).
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2014. Authenticities at the Hill House. National Trust for Scotland Conservation Seminar . February 26.
- Douglas-Jones, R. C. 2014. New Immortalities: Cadervaric Donation in Taiwan. New Immortalities Workshop, Durham Feburary 25-26.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2014. Conflict of interests and the refusal of the intimate: decision making in ethical review. MEGA Anthropology Seminar Sønderborg, Denmark. January 13-15.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2013. Standards and Difference: an exploration of capacity building in ethical review. Maastricht/Oxford Global Health and STS workshop November 14-15.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2012. Silent Mentors: Donation, Education and Bodies in Taiwan. 4th Annual Postgraduate Anthropology Conference April 2012, Ustinov College, Durham University.
- Douglas-Jones R. C. 2012. Thinking in Images, Writing in Words. Writing Across Boundaries Doctoral Workshop. Van Mildet College, Durham University. March 12-13.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011.’ (Bio)ethics excluded: an ethnographic account of evidence and elephants in research ethics, 5th Postgraduate Bioethics Conference: Social Scientific Approaches to Bioethics: Methods and Methodologies. Wellcome Collection, London..
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011. A single broken thread: integrity, accountability and trust in Asian ethics review committees, Royal Anthropological Institute First Annual Postgraduate Conference. Durham, England.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011. An addition which subtracts? Building persons and systems of capacity in Asian Biomedical Research Ethics, 110th American Anthropological Association Conference. Montreal, Canada.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011. Ethics without Trust: Responsibility, Accountability and Audit in Asian Ethics Review Committees, Trusting Information: Technology Truth and Transparency. IT University, Copenhagen, Denmark..
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011. Implicit Futures: Research Ethics Review and Capacity Building as Practices of Progress and Protection, Imagining, Negotiating and Taming Emerging Technosciences. Albert-Schweitzer Haus, Vienna, Austria.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2011. Scaling the Elephant and Elephant-ing the Scale: blind men’s perspectives, ethics committees and analytical disappearances, 3rd Annual Anthropology Postgraduate Conference. Collingwood College, Durham, England.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2010. Research Ethics and Multi-sited Comparisons: some starting points with Asian maps and elephants, International Science and Bioethics Collaborations in Asia: an End of Award Colloquium. Department of Social Anthropology, Cambridge.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2009. Expectation in Ethical Review, International Science and Bioethics Collaborations Colloquium. Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), Cambridge..
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2009. Exploring Plateaus: sites, flights and territories of ethnographic research, 2nd International Deleuze Studies Conference LEGODeleuze. Cologne, Germany.
- Douglas-Jones, R.C. 2008. Studying Expectation: concealed collaboration in emergent bioethical governance, American Anthropological Association Conference ‘Inclusion, Collaboration and Engagement‘. San Francisco, California..